Monday, June 23, 2008

RATS! Rats! Rats! Rats!

Amassing upgrade points in the small women's fields is like pulling teeth. The number of points awarded depends on the number of racers -- which I understand, its not as hard to beat five other people as it is to beat 15 other people. If only 15 women would show up! If there had been one more racer in my field at Spring Prairie, I would have gotten 7 points instead of 3. Now it turns out there were only four cat 4 racers at Fox River Grove yesterday -- we were combined with the masters racers and its hard to tell who's who. Points are awarded to fields with five or more racers. So despite SOMEHOW managing to win the damn thing, my goal of amassing points is foiled. Not to mention that half the points I have won aren't listed on the USCF site.

I will never get twenty frickin' points.

And I am SO WEARY of my race goal being "get points." Sometimes I want to race for the team. I want to chase down breaks or bridge a teammate across, or give Gigi a strong leadout. I want to be useful. Instead I'm anxiously chasing this upgrade. And my awesome teammates are helping and that's starting to sit heavily on my shoulders.

4 comments:

Jeff and Debi said...

What did you place overall in that race? 3rd? Can reason that you earned some points that way?

You can make an argument to Fowkes and he'll work with you. I talked with him yesterday about upgrading and he seemed actually pretty flexible, but the key is corresponding with him on it and not just hitting him up blind with a request.

Tamara Fraser said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tamara Fraser said...

Thanks, Jeff. I came in second after Jeanette [who was awesome!] -- so if you count the whole group, that's 2 points.

Then if you count the masters with the cat 4s at Spring Prairie, where I was third across the line, I'd get 5 points instead of the 3 for first.

Not sure what to say exactly. Where do I find his e-mail address?

Anonymous said...

You know, you can always send an email with your race resume and request the sticker.

A goal should support you, not hinder you...Make the leap.