Sunday, June 22, 2008

Well, I'm shocked to report that I won my category at Fox River Grove today.

This race has a serious climb. Right after the start/finish line you turn left onto a long, bendy hill with a couple plateaus near the top. Then left down a descent into a sharp left turn, around a couple more sharp lefts into a short finishing stretch downhill. When I warmed up on the course, that hill sucked out my will to live.

In the race, I was handily dropped the first time up. My teammate Denise shot up that hill like a rocket - it was beautiful to see. Jeanette [who was racing masters] and two of our competitors quickly climbed away from me as well. And I figured, well, that's it. There's my race. As I powered through the rest of the course, I could see them up ahead. Way too far away. The second time through, they were gone. But there were a couple juniors [the women and the juniors were started together] in front of me and I was gaining on them. As I picked them off, I realized that one of them was a woman -- if I could get by her, I was racing for third place instead of fourth! We were together to the hill and somehow, I put some distance between us. By the time I was halfway through the back part, I could no longer see her behind me.

As I came around again, Gigi hollered that I was only 10 seconds behind the leaders. Fat lot of good that was going to do me -- they were CLIMBERS. But I had them in sight again. This time on the descent, I saw Jeanette ride away from the other two, and Denise fall off a little. "Catch her, Denise!" I hollered from 50 meters behind.

She did and then I did. Denise was sitting on the other woman, making her do the work. I sat third wheel and recovered a bit from my effort. Two laps to go.

I was gapped a little going up the hill, but easily caught on again. One to go. This time I WASN'T gapped on the hill! I stayed right with them. I again sat third wheel, looking for the spot to jump. I went on a small uphill before the last turn, hit the turn hot and then stood and sprinted and threw across the line -- for FIRST!

I'm only an adequate climber, but I guess I had the endurance to climb that hill consistently -- as fast or faster the last time as the first. While other riders tired, I was able to recover quickly and keep pushing hard. Heh, I think that's the recipe for all the success I've had -- persistence.

And Jeanette was amazing. She rode everyone off her wheel and soloed brilliantly to cross the line first overall. I want to be that strong someday.

3 more upgrade points! (or not. !#*$%!!!!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!! So if you really want to do well--ride 90 miles before every race.

Luke said...

Awesome! What a great day for XXX!

Jim said...

Congrats on your win, Tamara!

Jim C