Friday, June 6, 2008

Track racing is hard. It's also super fun. But, damn, it's hard.

I took my brand new track bike to Northbrook last night for a win-and-out, a 24 lap points race and an unnamed distance race. I took third behind a Pegasus girl and Gigi in the first and last races, and finished with the combined cat 1-2-3-4 pack in the points race. I got no points, but I finishing the race was an accomplishment.

So, not terrible for my first time. My bike feels good - aggressive. I don't have that pop that the women who are winning have. I can ramp up to fast, but I can't just explode with speed and get a gap. But that's why I've taken up track racing in the first place, to learn how to do that.

I'm not sure I have the right gearing, but it's too soon to change it out, I think.

I was greatly relieved to feel OK on the bike. After the last two mornings, I wasn't sure I'd be doing more than watching. But the only problem I had was remembering to keep pedaling. I'm feeling way more confident about Spring Prairie now.

No comments: