Saturday, January 26, 2008


The team ride today was aggressively unpleasant. It wasn't the cold, it was the snow. It was the muddy, salty slush in the roads. The first hour was OK, but as I got progressively wetter and muddier the ride got progressively less fun. It was cold enough to freeze the water in our bottles, so I couldn't rinse the salt out of my mouth. And cold enough that being soaked was a problem. I gladly took my turn at the front to get my heart rate up and get warm. Yes, that IS mud on my teeth and salt caked around my nose.

Took me an hour to clean my bike. I would guess the three other brave fools on the ride spent just as much time cleaning theirs.

The weather will have to dramatically improve for me to go on the women's ride tomorrow.

3 comments:

brianfmorrissey said...

Yeah, um no...after the slush-fests two weeks ago I'm still finding salt in my nooks and crannies.

Good weather will be here soon enough...until then I am content to work the brain on the gerbil train.

Tamara Fraser said...

I just REALLY wanted a good ride outdoors, you know. I'm on the trainer all week long, I just really wanted a break. Here's hoping that we get some reasonable riding weather this weekend.

brianfmorrissey said...

Seriously. Although, my trainer tolerance is VASTLY improved with the motivation of our Coach,camp(s) and races factored in. Last year 30 minutes and I wanted to kill myself. This year? 2 hours is standard, and a one hour speed drill is nothing.