Thursday, January 24, 2008

Last evening was the women's squad's monthly social. We met at Hopleaf for dinner, snacks and beer. Well, some of us had beer. Some of us stuck assiduously to our diets and commiserated about always being hungry. But it's paying off -- we'll be ready for camp.

A lot of our new members came and it was fun to get to know each other better. There's a lot of enthusiasm right now and I'm excited to see that applied to racing. Who will be super strong? Who will be a natural sprinter? Who will get dropped over and over but keep coming back for more?

Also fun to talk about camp. A bunch of women are coming this year. Egg salad.

----

I wonder if I've had so many colds this past year because ALL of my current officemates have young children who go to daycare. Maybe they're carrying viruses into the office, way more viruses than when none of us had tots. I'm consistent about washing my hands thoroughly and using hand sanitizer throughout the day, but I have never had so many colds in a 12 month period [Seven? Eight?]. And this is the only thing I can think of that's changed.

Since becoming an athlete -- which coincided with the baby boom -- my health has gotten more delicate. Which seems counterintuitive. I'm to the point where the slightest hint of impending illness will send me running for the zinc lozenges and to an early bed time.

No comments: