Friday, August 22, 2008

So my racing bike hasn't been feeling as stiff lately. I was never sure quite what that meant. I mean, I got the jist, but as I've only had one road bike, I have nothing to compare it to. People ask if I like it, if it's stiff, and I tell them yeah, I like it.

But in late July I started hearing a noise when I'd stand up and pull on the handlebars [as when sprinting or climbing]. I asked neutral support about it at a race and he thought it was the bearings in my headset wearing out. He tightened it down and the noise went away. And then I crashed and forgot about it.

Then last week, when sprinting, the bike didn't feel stiff anymore. There was definite give. It was subtle, but noticeable. I took it into my mechanic and he leaned on the bars and they shifted around spongily. Ack! He's taking apart the headset and checking it out. Probably the bearings.

I also need to replace my chainrings. I currently have a 50/34 compact and I'm considering going with a more standard setup. A 52/38 or 53/38. I've asked coach what he thinks. I'm having a compact put on my cross bike, so I'll still have that option. Thoughts?

2 comments:

Jeff and Debi said...

I have both (a 50/34 and a 53/39) on my two road bikes. I like the compact when climbing (Camp, Snake Alley, etc) but prefer the 53/39 here in the city and even up in Wisconsin.

If you run a 11/23 in the city and 12/27 at camp, the compact would be fine as is. You won't spin it out on the flats and will have plenty of granny in the mountains.

Tamara Fraser said...

That's what I've been doing and it's worked out fine. Maybe when cross season is over, I'll put a 52/38 on the cross bike and see how it feels.