Friday, August 8, 2008

Only three women raced track last night! It was ridonkulous. Every race was the same: the cat 2 racer took first, the cat 3 racer took second and the cat 4 racer [me] took third. At lease I gave the cat 3 a run for her money a couple times.

But why so few women racing this year? In general, there just aren't as many. Road races, crits, track, you're lucky to get more than 10. And it's certainly not because we who DO race don't recruit and encourage! It was pretty salty for those of us who SHOWED UP to race Elk Grove to be lectured about how few of us there were. WE KNOW! And it sucks for us worse than it sucks for you.

---

So the 'silver lining' to landing on my jaw when I crashed has been multiple trips to the dentist -- not for the jaw, that's healing nicely, but for actual dentistry. I hadn't been in a while due to a bad experience, but its good to know my gums are fine and my cavities taken care of, etc. For not having been in 7-ish years, my teeth are in pretty good shape.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The fact that the participants was chastised is noone's fault, but the chastisers. Perhaps when too many 5s shop up, they should chastise men, too.

I am sympathetic to frustration; however, barriers to racing keep piling up for me (time, money, and children).

I can't speak for all the women in the whole reagion, but I imagine that the following factors contribute to smaller fields:

1. Economy, price of gas and food
2. BK: Whether conciously or not, I think that this is impacting things.
3. Cycles of participation.

Regarding Elk Grove: I think plenty of people do not like the 180 degree curve, conflict with NRC race with better money, and being a week further out from DG don't did not help.

Anonymous said...

I definitely feel that gas $$ is taking a toll on how many people show up to races/events!!!!