Monday, August 11, 2008

Crash number two on Sunday at the Glencoe Grand Prix. Much less dramatic -- a racer ahead of me took the last corner before the finishing sprint too hot and hit the curb, taking out the two women behind her. I was braking and thought I was going to get stopped OK when the woman behind me took me down. Happily for me, I only have a couple bruises and a scuffed elbow [the woman who hit the curb wasn't so lucky] and neutral support trued the wiggle out of my rear wheel right away.

I wasn't racing particularly well. I was keeping up just fine, and was doing much better in the corners -- however Gigi said afterwards that I was letting myself get slightly gapped and then having to sprint the 6 ft to catch back on [especially at first, I think I got better as the race went on] so she quit riding my wheel. Arg. I hate letting a teammate down.

I put in an attack or two but there were about 5 really strong racers who chased me down easily. On the last lap, I found myself on the front and decided to stay there -- which wasn't especially smart if I wanted to place well. I ramped it up hoping that I could keep the pace high enough that we'd be safe through the corners. But a couple girls used that last corner to launch themselves -- which I should have been doing -- and that's when the crash happened.

Four races since catting up -- crashed twice and got dropped twice. Can only go up from here.

---

Saturday at the track was interesting. I blew the 500 m pursuit -- didn't get up to top speed and didn't spin. Afterwards, I figured out what I should have been doing and wished I could do it over. But I used that experience and improved in the 2K. I don't think I had an awesome time [I forgot to check, had to get home], but I was consistent, doing all the laps in about the same time. And this time I did get up to speed and I did spin OK and I stuck closer to the black line, etc. And I was gassed afterwards. At least now I know what to work on.

And the aerobars were very comfortable.

No comments: