Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I am so tired.

I'm burned out. I can't get my head into racing. I just want to sleep.

I raced poorly at Downers Grove. I just wanted it to be over -- my last race for weeks. I tried to psych myself up, but I'm just so weary. I couldn't get excited. I'm still choking in the corners too -- waves of cold fear hit me before every corner, be it in a race or in training, and I forget everything I know about cornering on a bike. I consciously tried to set that aside, but I couldn't and finally ended up off the back for good.

And as humiliating as that was, all the emotion I could muster was relief that it was over.

But even so, I was talking with someone yesterday and when cycling came up, found myself engaged and excited by the conversation. [too bad most everyone I know thinks there's no duller subject] So after I rest a bit, I'll regain my appetite for racing.

---

Got up at 4:30 this morning to watch the Olympic Madison live. It was fun to watch, but I was surprised that 'Cav & Wiggo' pretty much sat in for the whole race. The Belgians, Argentinians and Germans animated the race, but our British heroes only managed one point. Weird. I wonder if one or the other of them is injured.

3 comments:

brianfmorrissey said...

Been there. Still there. It happens to everyone I am told. Just a matter of focus and outlook, and of course, confidence.

Let's get through it.

Tamara Fraser said...

Let me sleep for a month first. Maybe I can sleep through it!

You moving to Italy?

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it is really hard to sustain yourself when you reach your overarching goal prior to the end of the season. This hit me in the season 04 season because my goals were upgrading and field finishes at Superweek. The biggest sign that I was toast for the season was my discussing tuning up a bike for cross in July.