Thursday, April 30, 2009


I raced Leland - Kermesse last Saturday. I use the term 'raced' lightly -- it was a fantastic course, and Flatlandia put on a good event, but due to other races that day and forboding weather, only four people showed up to race the women's open. Three of us from xXx - Jeanette, Beth and I.

Right before the start, the official informed us that not only were the men's cat three field combined [but scored separately] with the men's cat 1-2 field, but that the women's open was also being thrown in there. We hadn't expected this, and were at the back -- which isn't where we needed to be to actually stay with that group. After a mile or two of my lousy pack skills keeping me in the wind, I dropped back to find a less exposed position -- just as the group surged. I was off and unable to bridge in the stiff crosswind. The others dropped back then as well -- being three quarters of a small pack effectively erasing my mortifying mistake.

Until we got to the turn onto the dirt road. I panicked, took a very bad line, and got myself dropped again. Again, my teammates held up for me. Feeling like the complete idiot I was, I went to the front and rode angry, inadvertently dropping the non-xXx racer. She worked furiously to catch us for quite a long time, but the wind was too much. Jeanette, Beth and I rode the next 4 laps together -- no excitement other than the lightening, thunder, rain, howling wind, slippery gravel and mud. We were the last field on the road.

Beth attacked on the dirt road, Jeanette and I countered. I sat on Jeanette for half the dirt road, then attacked, dropping Beth. Jeanette stuck to my wheel until the filth I was throwing up into her face got the best of her and I opened up a respectable gap. I thought I had a chance then, and gave everything I could on the long, uphill finishing stretch. But Jeanette is FAST. She caught me before the finish and won handily. She deserved it - she was the strongest person in our race and hadn't made any dumb mistakes. The volunteers and officials who'd stayed in the rain until we finished were delighted we fought each other for the win.

I have lots to work on. Cornering, pack riding, power, speed . . . pretty much everything, I guess.

No comments: