Tuesday, October 28, 2008

We voted on Saturday. Early voting is convenient . . . and sorta weird. I can't shake the suspicion that they aren't counting those votes. Conversely, I feel like I do when I make a pledge to Public Radio on the first day of the pledge drive -- irritated that they continue asking for money for another week and a half! I have voted, people. Election OVER.

A friend of mine got to meet Barack Obama the other day. She was very impressed by his kindness and sincerity. He must meet hundreds of people every day, yet he makes a real connection with each of those people. Because he actually CARES about them. About us. I'm worried that racism will keep him from being elected. I worry that he will be assassinated.

Speaking of discrimination, if you know anyone in California, please urge them to vote 'NO' on proposition 8. For many years, I thought that marriage didn't really matter. If two people loved each other and made a life together, it was just as good. But then I was able to get married and I was overwhelmed by the experience. It DOES make a difference. To us, to our families, to our community. And this is beside all the legal rights and privileges that marriage bestows. It doesn't change anything for mixed sex couples -- it doesn't hurt straight marriages, it doesn't harm children, it doesn't force any religion to accept anything they don't want to. It just allows people who love each other to participate in this powerful ritual that binds you to each other publicly. And that's beautiful.

---

Right now my cycling team has the opportunity to vote on how the memorial to our fallen teammates -- Beth, Pieter, Eric, and Thomas -- will be remembered. There are five options. The team has worn hearts on our sleeves for Eric and Thomas for many years, so its a big decision to change the design. Do we keep the hearts? Do we move on to a simple black armband? Or something else entirely? Its in the team's hands now.

No comments: