Monday, October 27, 2008

Rest week is over. I'm looking forward to getting back on the bike in earnest.

I dreamt last night that I worked in a large, lofted room with many other people. I had a six foot square wooden table, chest height, to myself, over near the large windows. Lots of room to spread my work out, lots of sunlight.

Then someone comes in and asks us all to try sitting elsewhere for a moment. My desk is moved towards the center of the room and I am sent to the back to sit in a row of workers for a while. When I get to go back to my desk, it has been replaced by a child-sized table and chair. Maybe two feet across and so low I can't get my knees under it. This is my new workspace. I point out that I can't sit at this tiny table and I get another the same size, but taller, like a child's schooldesk. I have no storage, no room, and I'm far from the airy windows. But I have a desk -- the writers are all sitting three to a couch with their work on their laps.

This dream pretty accurately reflects how things have changed for me at work.

---

Women's program had a potluck last night. It was so nice. The host's home was warm and welcoming with lots of oak everywhere and a burning fireplace. There was plentiful food and wine and animated conversation. Two of our members had won races earlier in the day, so we celebrated them and all our successes this season. Its a good group.

No comments: