Thursday, May 29, 2008

OK, pity party is over. I think I get adrenalin withdrawal or something after a long weekend of racing and my mood suffers.

Coach wants me on the track -- it will help develop my spin and sprint and improve my pack skills, things I need to be a better road racer. Jackie's cool with one night a week at the track.

So I'm researching track bikes. Fuji Track Pro or Jamis Sonik? Or something else? Do I get the same size track bike as road bike? I'm going to the Women's Track Clinic on saturday. It'll be my first time on a fixed gear. I'm excited. Hopefully I'll like it and have my questions answered.

4 comments:

Jeff and Debi said...

Go visit our friends at Mission Bay and get a Sonik. 165mm cranks and probably a 48x16 gearing. That's my advice.

If you want to borrow my track bike for Sat, just let me know. It should fit you (52.5cm top tube, 100mm stem).

Tamara Fraser said...

Thanks, Jeff ! I'm leaning towards the Sonik. Hopefully Alberto's has a loaner bike in my size -- my road bike is a 51.

Anonymous said...

USAC upgrade points are earned in races over "any twelve month period." When was Sherman Park last year?

The USAC v. ABR conflict only applies to track upgrades. I see no exclusion to non-USAC events in the rules for road upgrades. This means that MoM counts if you finished high enough. Since last year's Fall Fling had 11 riders you got 2 points for that too.

Bonne Chance!
Val's friend at the track

Tamara Fraser said...

USAC doesn't give credit for ABR races. They have in the past, but reportedly they don't now. Plus, I raced 40+ at MoM and Sherman Park. I think, as I beat all the cat 4s at Sherman Park, I have a good argument for the 3 points --- but if they accept that, I still only have 7 points.

Thanks for the support -- I'll get there eventually.