Monday, May 26, 2008

I'm here in lovely Duluth for the Duluth Classic stage race, which thus far has been a well run race with interesting and challenging courses. There are 15 women in my field and we're racing with the 4 40+ women, including Beth who decided to race despite a nasty cold.

My biggest challenge this weekend has been my bike. I've been having shifting problems for months now and have taken it in to Mission Bay numerous times. On Friday, the derailure was stuck forward, as it was at sprint practise a few weeks ago, and the wrench said it was broken and replaced it. He said the new cable might need some breaking in, but that it would be mostly just fine. Great. Except not. During the TT on Friday evening, it was giving me problems -- not shifting well, jumping around a bit. At Saturday's RR I shifted the chain right off the rear cog onto the skewer. I couldn't pedal and had to stop and yank it out. Then I had to ride alone into the headwind forever to catch back up [but I DID catch up]. Yesterday's RR had a major hill -- twice as long as Spring Prairie and just as steep. I was climbing well, except in my small ring my chain kept jumping and skipping. It wouldn't stay in gear when I was putting pressure on it -- which made climbing torturous. I couldn't get into a rythym. It made loud popping noises as it constantly jumped and failed and skipped. We had three laps and on the first two I was dropped by the lead girls and had to catch back on on the downhill. If I could have stayed in gear and been able to choose my gear, they wouldnt've dropped me. On the third and final lap, I decided to lead out to the hill -- we had a tailwind and drafting doesn't mean much at that speed. Halfway up, two girls came around me and I was holding their wheel. [Crack! Pop! Skip!] They picked it up a bit and I needed to shift . . . but I couldn't. I couldn't even settle into the 23, trying for the 21 or the 19 was disaster. And they rode away. Two more women passed me -- it was SO frustrating!! My bike just wouldn't work.

I've had it adjusted since, and hope to have ample time today to make sure it's OK before the race.

On the good side, I'm recovering well in between races. Beth and I are getting lots of rest, lots of self-massage, and good recovery meals. My legs actually feel better today after yesterdays monster race than they did Saturday morning after the TT.

And my fitness is good. Despite having to TT back to the pack on Saturday's RR, I was able to help chase down an attack [but not bridge to it], put in an attack of my own and finish fourth in the sprint. At yesterday's RR, I was climbing well and had the strength to catch up to the front group, chase down attacks, and organize the lead pack into a rotating pace line on the last lap so we could keep our advantage. I finished fifth in spite of the horrible bike issues. I suffered mightily and I enjoyed it!

I'm feeling good for today's crit. Reportedly there's a small hill and four corners. I don't have the explosive excelleration that a couple girls here have, so I have to play the sprint smart. I doubt anyone in this group will let a breakaway get off, but I can attempt it. Maybe I'll get lucky and get off with a couple strong girls.

1 comment:

Luke said...

great job, Tamara! It was awesome to check the results and see you so high. Keep it up!