Monday, May 19, 2008


Casualty of war.

Saturday I raced Monsters of the Midway. Our plan for the cat 4 race was to work for Gigi - Emily was going to get on the front and push the pace and Beth and I were going to attack to soften up the competition. Gigi and Anna were going to sit in and Emily and I would lead them out for the sprint. I was feeling better than I had the past week and a half, finally recovered from the vagaries of travel.

For the past 2 years, cat 4 women and masters women raced together. So as we registered, Gigi asked if I were going to sign up for 40+ - thinking that we might get good results in both categories. So I did. And so did Emily and Beth.

At the start line, the officials started separating the masters riders from the cat 4 women. This happens sometimes when they want to check numbers against their list, so I didn't think much of it other than to be irritated that I had to give up my spot on the front. But it became apparent that this year we were racing separately - the masters would start a half lap after the cat 4 field. !!! I asked If I could switch to cat 4 - as did Emily - but we were told it was too late. Poor Gigi! We were forced to abandon her.

There were 7 masters racers. Emily got on the front and pulled hard. Beth and I sat in. I chased down a few attacks and put in a few of my own. None of us competed for any of the primes. About 20 minutes into our 30 minute + 2 lap race, there was an attack. I chased. She sat up when I caught her, but then realized we had 30 feet on the group. She suggested we work together to stay away. I agreed and immediately got in front of her and put in a big dig to expand our lead. And inadvertently dropped her.

So I settled in and kept pushing hard. It was easier to hold that intensity for 5 laps than it was last year at Sherman Park. I kept my HR about 180, and forced clif shots down my throat [and down my chin] when I had the tailwind. I expanded my lead to a half lap and WON. And this time I posted up.

After that, the xXx women had another chance to work together, with Gigi this time, in the women's cat 3 race. It was actually more of a 3/4 race, as Devon, et al, were encouraging every experienced cat 4 to register for the cat 3 as well. We had about 20 women. Without Emily, it was a slow affair, everyone saving their energy. I do better in the hard races. Things sped up for prime sprints, but would die back down right away. I wasn't up to attacking in the first half of the race, but got in the groove after a while and put in a few. I attacked with 2 to go, but they weren't going to let me go so I sat up and rested in the group. On the last lap, Gigi got my wheel and I went to the front on the backstretch to lead her out. For a few moments, we had a black xXx train charging down the course. And then I unwittingly moved a couple feet to my left, shedding Gigi and picking up the competition. To whom I gave a great leadout. As they came around me for the sprint, I stood up and tried to challenge. I ended up 7th. Cecile took 5th.

And then there was my shoe. At one point after a prime sprint when we were slowing down, a couple girls got a bit close and stuck out their elbows. One overreacted and fell into the rider on her other side: me. I felt her drag across my shoe and back wheel, and as soon as I was clear, I heard her crash. Thank god for Coach's skills clinics where we practice touching wheels, shoulders and elbows! I kept my cool and stayed upright. But afterwards I realized she'd gouged a big gash in my shoe! I can't even imagine what part of her bike would do that. I liked those shoes.

So, I'm happy to have won. It felt good. Interesting that I won this race the same way I won Sherman Park - solo breakaway. Now I have to figure out how to win a race with more than 10 people in it, and how to beat a pack that I can't ride away from.

---

In completely awesome news, Brian Stockmaster is back on the bike! Healing from the nasty crash at training camp, he rode down to Monsters to watch some racing. SO GREAT to see him healthy and well. And kitted up for a long ride.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still waiting on that photo of your post up!

Tamara Fraser said...

Yeah, me too. Maybe Cecile got one.