Monday, March 3, 2008

I had a good biking weekend. The weather was temperate enough to ride outdoors, and I was out for 5+ hours on both Saturday and Sunday. And more importantly, my energy is back. I'm feeling MUCH better.

I think part of the problem may have been my diet. I've been stringent. I'd gained weight and I wanted it off for camp. This past weekend, I ate more normally --- I didn't count calories, I ate at restaurants, I even had a dessert. I didn't go overboard, didn't overeat, but I had healthy foods that I haven't had in a while. And I felt a LOT better and my weight is fine. My clothes continue to get looser even.

And its not like I had radically cut my food consumption. Or so I thought. I guess for my activity level, which has been increasing over the last few weeks [and which was high to begin with], I simply NEED more calories. I just need to find the right balance of eating enough food and not too much. Sticking mostly to whole, healthy foods really helps too. I think I've been relying on packaged foods too much, simply because I could quantify it easily.

Training camp in California is five days away! I am SO looking forward to warm, sunny weather. I can't even tell you. That alone will give me energy and motivation for the rides. However, I'm going to continue to keep my hands obsessively clean, continue to use zicam and zinc tablets, continue to get as much sleep as possible and to eat right. I'm going to go to camp feeling GREAT.

I also got my powertap to download onto the computer. Lots of charts and graphs! I'm getting a lot better at using the thing . . . but I can't decipher the resulting data [yet]. Good that my coach can!

2 comments:

brianfmorrissey said...

All I did was cut out alcohol (mostly), paid attention to whether I was hungry (kinda) and made sure I got enough sleep (when I wasn't staying up) and I lost 20 lbs. Granted I'm 5 lbs under my race weight from last year but still - the off season added a lot.

The sad part is last night I was standing with teammates and we were all talking about our weight like we were supermodels at a bulemia convention.

Tamara Fraser said...

HA! That's always the way with cyclists. It turns grown men into teenaged girls with prom queen aspirations.

I don't drink generally -- I've probably had 3 drinks in the last 12 months, none during racing season. The difference between a man's metabolism and a woman's -- especially a 40 year old woman's -- is pronounced. Even in athletes. It doesn't help that I LOVE to eat.

I sometimes find it difficult to eat enough to fuel my workouts, but not so much that I can't lose weight. Sometimes I think I've got it figured out . . . and then Randy increases my hours and I lose all energy. My body has changed so much in the past 2 years, it's crazy.