Wednesday, February 13, 2008

So registration for HIllsboro-Roubaix is open. The men's fields filled quickly, but the women's fields never do. There are 100 slots in the Women's 4s race and I'd be completely shocked if we get 40. And that would be a large field for women. Heck, 25 is a large field for a women's road race. So no need to preregister.

I'm very bummed out to learn that the women's races have been cut down. The 4s race has been 2 laps, 44 miles, in past years, but this year will only be one lap. I know this is because the women's fields are smaller, but how do they expect to grow the sport if we never get a decent race? I'm sick of 20 minute crits and 17-22 mile road races. So my first reaction is to be PISSED OFF. Followed very quickly by waves of fear: the Proctor RR -- in which my teammate was killed last year -- is only one lap. One lap isn't enough to wear out the less fit riders. Everyone is antsy and nervous. Inexperienced riders doing inexperienced things. I don't want to crash because a bunch of sketchy racers can cling to the pack for one lap.

This means my team will have to shift strategy. We have our monthly social get-together this evening -- a good place to discuss tactics.

No comments: