Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I raced the ABD Memorial Day masters' criterium yesterday -- and I have to start by saying that ABD puts on great races. Well-organized, well-marshalled races on good courses. Monday's race was in an industrial park on a wide, smooth road with sweeping corners, a couple false flats and a bit of wind.

I lined up with 7 other women for our 50 minute +2 lap race. Four 40+ and four 30+. We were combined with the 50+ men and allowed to work together. It was good pack practice for me . . . for a lap and a half. I got gapped and was chasing the bunch that two 40+ women were still clinging to. I got lucky and they got gapped right after I did, and the three of us continued on with a couple dropped men.

I'd raced with one of the women before, she's experienced and strong. The other was just strong - very strong. The experienced woman and I traded a few attacks. She tried to exploit my my weakness in the corners, but these corners were so gentle, and the roads so wide, that I didn't have even a moment of panic. Then we settled in and worked well together. Eventually, the bunch lapped us -- we weren't able to integrate -- and then a train of about 6 guys came by and we jumped on.

Despite a couple of the guys being super squirrely, it was really fun. Fast with lots of attacks and jockeying, but easy enough to hang in. I could tell that the experienced woman was tiring a bit, but the other, despite sitting in the wind a lot, was not.

We let the men go on the last lap. I got third wheel and . . . I don't know, maybe I haven't raced enough this year. Maybe I'm just really, really dumb. But I totally screwed up the sprint. The strong woman attacked into the wind on the false flat but couldn't drop us. I considered counter-attacking, but feared it was too soon. And then I didn't sprint hard out of the corner. I sat behind the other two waiting for them to do something. And then they did and I came in third.

Why didn't I go? What's wrong with me? When will I learn that I regret inaction more than action, even ineffectual action.

Anyway, it was very refreshing to not get dropped immediately and it was just a really good, fun, interesting race overall. And hopefully I've learned something [that I should already know. Jeez!]

I stayed to watch the men's 40+ 1-2-3 race, and had the pleasure of seeing Mark Schwartzendruber ride away from the field. He attacked early and made time on the bunch with every lap. Amazing.

1 comment:

Christine's Arts said...

Well, I don't know enough about bike racing, but this was interesting. You seem more than exceptional as a person to go out and do what you do. So, Keep up the good work.