Friday, February 27, 2009

I had a 'max power' test last night. I'm looking for data on competitive female cyclists to find out where I stand right now. As with the 40 minute power test, I can't find comparable numbers – just the chart with the 1 minute, 5 minute and 20 minute tests. However, I think I can extrapolate that I'm doing OK. I think.

I also had body fat analysis [in the Bod Pod!]. Much easier to find body fat data – happily I'm solidly in the range for female athletes [12-18%]. I was actually surprised that my percentage was as low as it is [14%, give or take], I was afraid it would be over 20%. That it's nowhere NEAR 20% really illustrates that, as with many people who've had a lifelong struggle with weight, I don't have an accurate concept of my physical self.

Looking forward to training camp! One more week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vision Quest provides some data on its 40 minute "Supermax" performance test. They provide a percentile ranking of where the VQ athletes fall, in terms of lactate threshold power and LTP power to weight ratios, breaking it out by male and female VQ athlete. LTP is the average wattage output for the 40 minute test. For women the LTP rankings look like this: 90th percentile: 203 wts, 3.4 wt/kg. 80th percentile: 187 wts, 3.2 wt/kg. 70th percentile: 180 wts, 3.1 wt/kg. 60th percentile: 173 wts, 2.9 wt/kg. 50th percentile: 167 wts, 2.8 wt/kg. 40th percentile: 158 wts, 2.7 wt/kg. 30th percentile 148 wts, 2.4 wt/kg. 20th percentile 142 wts, 2.1 wt/kg. 10 percentile 128 wts, 2.0 wt/kg. Congratulations on your test, you have some good power!

Tamara Fraser said...

Yeah -- I have that on my sheet. I'd like to be able to compare myself with other female bike racers. I don't think many of the female VQ athletes specialize in mass-start bike racing (and the guy running the test said that a lot of the women taking the test were beginners). I'd like to see where I fall with other Cat 3 and Cat 2 racers.

Thanks for the encouragement.