Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I ate too much breakfast. Arg. I need a nap now.

I've had high adventures on the Lakefront Path lately. Yesterday I wanted to take advantage of the beautiful weather and ride outdoors, but due to previous commitments, wasn't able to actually get on the Path until 6:30 pm -- after dark. Everyone else on earth was taking advantage of the weather as well, so I was dodging hundreds of joggers in the dark. It was impossible to get above active recovery.

Then I hit Oak Street Beach. Which is STILL a big icy mess. All cyclists are forced to dismount and pick their way across the 100 yards of muddy, seaweed strewn ice. Its ridonkulous that the city hasn't done anything to clean that up.

As per usual, almost no joggers -- or other cyclists -- south of the Aquarium. Which was great at first, but got increasingly creepy. Riding through a wooded area with no street lamps, the modern, urban woman's constant low-level fear of attack ramped up to yellow. And when I caught sight of a dark figure moving in the trees, it hit red. I turned around.

This morning, I'd planned to do my three hours on the Path before work. Yes, it was supposed to rain, but my knee has been bothering me and the trainer aggravates it. And no reason to think it actually would rain when I wanted to be out there.

But it was, of course. But not hard, just a steady drizzle. Dana texted that she was still in if I was, so I suited up and headed out. I turned around twice, but the thought of the trainer turned me right back around. I was already out there, after all.

And we had a good ride. Dana got us started, and once my legs warmed up I was able to pull us down the path at a good clip. We turned around at the golf course and chatted our way back north at endurance pace. Back at the aquarium, however, Dana flatted. We stopped under an overhang to change it -- she has the tightest tires! We fought with it for way longer than I want to admit. Finally we got it off the rim, changed the tube quickly and got on our way. But it was too late -- we'd cooled off and in our wet clothes were really suffering. I cut my ride short before I lost feeling in my hands.

So, I still have an hour to ride today. And it will most likely still be raining after work when its time to ride home. Wheee.

6 comments:

brianfmorrissey said...

Interesting. Randy had written yesterday on the active trans LFP conditions that it was clear from Ardmore all the way to South Shore?? No?

brianfmorrissey said...

Never mind...he's behind since he's out of town...d'oh!

brianfmorrissey said...

do you have rollers?

brianfmorrissey said...

I like eggs.

Tamara Fraser said...

Heh, yeah, I have rollers.

Anonymous said...

I can definitely identify with the creepy experiences. One time I road the rim after flatting until I felt that I was in a high visibility enough location.