Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I'm so frickin' pissed off - I'm SICK. Three days before camp and I'm sick.

It started differently than usual - instead of getting that nasty feeling in my throat, I got this heaviness in my lungs. Now I'm exhausted and coughing and feel like I have a couple bricks on my chest. I'm eating zinc like its candy, and painting my nostrils with zicam. Somehow I need to get more sleep, but with work, training, and preparing for camp, I'm lucky to get 7 hours.

Maybe this explains why I was so slow on Saturday and so exhausted on Sunday. I felt like a dirty, dirty shirker Sunday and had to force myself onto the trainer. The workout was fine - my workout today was fine - but afterwards I felt like a dishrag.

I hate being sick. I've done really well this past year. In '07, I was sick, like six times, but I started taking the zicam and washing my hands until they cracked and bled and I stayed healthy all year. And now, right before the week I look forward to more than any other week of the year, SICK.

4 comments:

Jeff and Debi said...

That sucks. I was sick about 10 days ago but it came and went quickly. Hopefully the same for you.

Unknown said...

I'm there with you... congestion and a sense of tiredness that just won't go away no matter how much sleep I get.

you'd think that I'd have a bulletproof immune system after sitting on airplates twice a week for over a year...

allenpg said...

I swear by the Costco Vitamin C chewables. 1000 mg 2x and they taste like candy. It's nearly impossible to OD on Vitamin C. I'd recommend getting some of the "EmergenC" packets at Walgreens or CVS. They are a fizzy powder you just drop in water. Lots of vitamins and help boost your immune. If you get cogestion a lot nasal/sinus congestion, the hot saline stuff (like the Netipot) you snort up your nose works very well!

Hope you feel better!
-Pete

Tamara Fraser said...

Thanks guys -- I'm feeling better. Not 100%, but much better.

Happily, since I stopped eating dairy years ago, I don't get stuffed up anymore.