Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I am completely unsurprised by the study that found that women feel hunger more intensely than men. When confronted with favorite foods on an empty stomach men were able to use techniques they were taught to dismiss their hunger. Women in the same situation practising the same techniques still had just as much brain activity in their hunger center. Women are hardwired to eat when food is available. Sigh.

Went to see Max Testa speak this evening. Upshot was pretty much that people genetically predisposed to cycle well, will cycle well. And lactic acid testing is good. Then a bunch of stuff about triathletes. And if you have a good base already, hours of easy pedalling are a waste of time. That's all I remember right now.

So I'm predestined to be hungry and an unexceptional cyclist. Could be worse, I guess.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I envy those people who say that working out makes them less hungry (like it suppresses their appetite). I experience the opposite effect: working out makes me extremely hungry. The upside is that I'm eating more fruit because I'm trying to choose fruit over chocolate. :P

Tamara Fraser said...

Apparently female athletes feel hunger much more acutely than male athletes. I too get RAVENOUS. And conversely experience low blood sugar easily. Such a balancing act.

Mmmmmm . . . chocolate . . .