Monday, April 7, 2008

I went out to South Beloit yesterday for Spring Super Criterium. The Vitaminwater boys really put on a great race -- extremely well organized, good course, lots of primes and swag. It was a fun day.

Only downer was how few women showed up to race. We had five in the Womens cat 4 race and when only two people came out to race the cat 1-2-3 women's open, they opened it up to the cat 4 women as well. So we had nine racers in the Open.

I did OK. I'm a bit dissatisfied with my performance. In the cat 4 race, it became apparent that it was between me and one other woman. We dropped two racers right away and let a third tow us around the course for a couple laps, tiring her out. The other racer -- a Flatlandia girl that I remember passing on the second hill at Hillsboro after I dropped my chain -- and I duked out for a prime or two, and it was good sprinting practice for me. Not good enough, though as I went too soon at the end and couldn't finish strongly enough to beat her. Second got me two points towards upgrading to Cat 3 and eight (!) boxes of Clif bars.

I regret not attacking earlier in the race and trying to get off the front. I really need to be more aggressive that way -- I don't know why I talk myself out of it. It was very windy and I wasn't sure I was strong enough to hold them off. But I'll never know now. Arg.

The women's open was a longer race. My former teammate Val, a cat 3, was there and she told me she was going to attack and wanted me to come with her -- which sounded great to me. Francine, a cat 2 was the other elite racer in the group, and we had three Cutting Crew girls, all new to racing, and three other women from the cat 4 race, including my Flatlandia girl.

We settled in and let the Cutting Crew girls sit at the front. I didn't contest for any primes, I just sat in and saved my energy for the attack -- which came into the headwind with two and a half laps to go. Francine jumped and Val was right on her. And I missed it. I rode super hard to catch, but not getting on right away meant I had to bridge and I just didn't have the power for that. One of the Cutting Crew girls made the jump. But I didn't.

However, in my effort to get with the break, I managed to drop everyone else. Now, I don't know if that means I could have dropped them in the first race when they were fresher. But I know I wish I'd tried.

I spent two laps on my own, battling hard into the wind. I could see the three ahead of me, but they were too far for me to catch. I couldn't see anyone behind me. So I rode in alone for fourth. Which, frankly, is probably what I would have gotten if I HAD made the break, but that's not the point. I need to have the strength and explosive power to not let it ride off without me.

So I really need to work on my tactics. If I'd been sitting behind Francine and Val, I would've seen the move sooner and that might've made a difference. And I need to stop being so timid and stop second-guessing myself. Now is the time to experiment! This was a perfect race to try all sorts of things, and I just played it too safe. Which is the same thing I was thinking after Hillsboro -- at some point it has to sink in.

---

Unfortunately Gigi, who was planning on this race, crashed on our Saturday team ride and took Sunday off. She needed stitches and scraped up her face pretty dramatically, but overall--thankfully--she's OK. I really missed her yesterday. I hope she's back to 100% soon.

5 comments:

brianfmorrissey said...

Unrelated: thank you thank you thank you!

Related: Great job on Sunday!

Tamara Fraser said...

You're welcome -- I hope you enjoy it. It's my favorite.

You racing this weekend?

brianfmorrissey said...

Asheville! But I'll see you at Great Dane??

Tamara Fraser said...

Most likely -- have a great time in the mountains!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tamara it's Brynn (Chicago Cuttin Crew) just wanted to say but i also wanted to ask you if you if you're interested in riding next week, insted of each of us riding alone it might be fun to ride together.

If you're interested the best way to contact me is by phone 773 401 1745, the internet I borrow is not working lately (I think they caught on ha ha)Hope all is going well :)