Thursday, September 3, 2009

Getting ready for the team time trial next weekend. And the State Road Race. I'm not feeling great - my fitness just isn't where I want it to be. I tried to peak in late June/early July [although I don't feel I made it all the way], then pulled back to try to avoid burnout. Just as I started ramping back up, I hurt myself and had to lay off the intensity. The injury continues to nag. Its not acute anymore, but its not gone either. It feels raw and *wrong* when I ride, and it aches when I sit at my desk or in my car. It robs me of power.

I had a really great little vacation with Jackie last week - so good to just spend time together and relax. But since then, I've been tired and stressed out. I just can't seem to get ahead of the 8-ball. I've been getting up super early to practice with my TTT team, while I'm trying to get back on Central time - too easy to stay up too late, too hard to get up early - and then I spend the entire day dragging.

Coach has been talking about mental toughness lately. He thinks I have it and that I can exercise more of it. But when I fall into this well of worry and despair, its too easy to let it engulf me. My glass is half-empty and that's all I can see.

3 comments:

Julie said...

...I completely understand what you're saying. Hills n' valleys, right? You'll climb out, just believe in it.

Paolo said...

..yeah..it'll happen.

In the toughest times in practice or at a race - I focus on a loved one. This mornings intervals had me saying my grandfather's name silenty...

somehow the pain and the intervals were over with before I knew it.

Thank goodness pain is temporary (and it is with your ache!). You are 'TOUGH'.

Tamara Fraser said...

You guys are nice.