Friday, August 21, 2009

Pain, pain, pain, when will it end.

Still struggling with this stupid hip thing. I keep thinking its getting better, then I ride and its just as alarmingly painful as before. The massage has helped, the ice and ibuprofen help, but I think its time for the next step. Active Release has really helped me in the past, so I'm going to call today. After that, AthletiCo. Or my GP. Arg.

In the meantime, I've been thinking a lot about the cross bike. Number one thing to change is the stem. I used one I had, and its the wrong angle - which put my handlebars in a position that has aggravated my elbows and made the bike feel weird to ride. New stem today!

I'm researching brakes [thanks for the offer, Allen! - I'll send you an e-mail], and I'm going to use the carbon seatpost and saddle from my road bike. Wheels will make the biggest difference - these are my options:
- Mavic Ksyrium elite clinchers. I used these last year.
- have cross tires glued to my HED stingers. These are my primo road race wheels - do I dare use them for cross??
- find a cheap and relatively lightweight set of tubular wheels - like the Easton EA70x. Definitely need to be cheap - but will cheap tubulars be any better than the Ksyrium elites?

Hmmm.

4 comments:

Jeff and Debi said...

I have Easton EA70X's. Great wheels if you can get them on a sale. MUCH better than clinchers. Although, at our weight (less than 140lbs), you can ride clinchers at 25psi or so and be fine. I did last year and never had a single pinch flat.

Racing the HED's with cross tires should be fine as long as you scout the course and make sure to spot any sidewalks or other things that could crack a carbon rim and be sure to bunny-hop those. There was one such hidden obstacle at Dekalb last year right before you end that little trail in the woods. Knocked my alum wheel out of true. Another one was at northbrook, but that course is not being used this year.

Tamara Fraser said...

I LOVED the Northbrook course!!! I'm so sad.

igowithfergus said...

The most affordable tubular I've seen is the new Williams wheelset for $369. Too bad the Ritchey Protocol tubulars aren't offered in the team deal this year.

Imho, I wouldn't risk the HEDs.

Hope you get past the pain soon.

Tamara Fraser said...

Thanks for the advice! The thought of cracking one of the HEDs makes me sick.