Monday, December 22, 2008

Got back on the bike yesterday for the first time in two weeks. And I surprised myself with how much I WANTED to be on the trainer and how much I enjoyed it. Heh, that won't last.

Everything's a bit disorganized right now. I raced Montrose Harbor two weeks ago and haven't touched any gear since. I can't find my heart rate strap or embrocation [my new word, learned from Velonews and now used in a sentence]. Or my fingerless gloves. I can pedal for an hour without that stuff, but longer than that will be a problem.

I bought my plane ticket to training camp last week. I'm already excited!

Chicago Bike Racing has an interview with Kristen Meshberg up. She's teaming up with Devon next year -- the two amazing women who've dominated the local bike racing scene. I'm hopeful that I will grow to be competitive with them at some point. It won't be easy or quick, but consistent hard work should get me there eventually. Right? OK, it'll never happen. But I'm interested to see how the season will unfold anyway.

We have some new women joining xXx for 2009, and I'm very excited about that too. I can't wait to get them on the road.


-----

I was flipping channels last night and came across concert footage of David Bowie as Ziggy Startdust and the Spiders from Mars. Which was pretty awesome -- I haven't seen it in a long time. I was reading Velonews while Mick Ronson played a 15 minute guitar solo in the middle of Width of a Circle while Bowie changed costumes [from something FloJo would have worn into a onesie an adorable 2 year old girl might wear]. Bowie finishes the song, then portentiously walks [barefoot] to the back of the stage. The camera lingers. Jackie yells "Mime! Do mime!" And Bowie runs forward . . . into an invisible wall!!! He actually does MIME! Jackie wails that she didn't mean it! But for several minutes he feels his way back and forth along the invisible wall until he finally finds a crack and pries it open. I watch, horror-stricken. Cringing into the couch. I want to die, both FOR him and just in general. When he's finally free of the wall, I go off to bed. Reconciling the absolute coolness of David Bowie with mime [and not even inventive mime] is too much for my tiny brain.

4 comments:

terryg said...

Happy holidays...

I've been reading your blog ever since I stumbled across it reading about the Montrose Harbor cyclocross (and wishing I'd gone as it's really becoming interesting to me). Anyway, the Bowie stuff drew me out as I've been into him forever. Now I have to pull out my copy of the Ziggy movie. Ronson was great on Width of a Circle, and so was Earl Slick doing the same for the Diamond Dogs tour ("David Live" chronicled that). Anyway, thanks!

ps - db studied mime with Lindsay Kemp, who studied under Marcel Marceau. Yep, some Bowie trivia lives in my head and surfaces now and then

Tamara Fraser said...

Hey Terry! You race cross? I'm a longtime Bowie nerd too - I remember him saying in an interview that mime didn't have the stigma then that it has now. But still, he didn't have to do the most hackneyed bit of mime possible. At least Shields & Yarnell innovated.

Tamara Fraser said...

Oh god-there's young Bowie doing really terrible mime on youTube. The cringeing continues.

terryg said...

Do you mean this? eeep.

I don't race cross, or anything for that matter. I just ride and love bikes!