Tuesday, November 18, 2008



So I was riding on the Lakefront path this morning and enjoying the solitude. I could see the lake effect snow clouds on the horizon but it was clear and crisp and the sun was just starting to come up. I passed Oak Street beach and was watching the waves wash up. There was a little crispy ice, but nothing my knobby cross tires had trouble with. I turned the corner . . . and was suddenly on a solid sheet of black ice. Before I could react at all, I was down. Hard. I hit my head harder than I ever have and broke my glasses [rats!]. I sorta wanted to just lay there and cry. But its 20 degrees and the ice is cold and I still have an hour and a half of endurance and I am a tough and hard bike racer so I make my way off the ice, get back on my mercifully unscathed bike and continue my ride.

On the way back, I dismounted and picked my way carefully across the ice, hugging the wall. But the rubber soles of my shoe covers still slid out and I ended up crawling again. As I did, another roadie came around the bend and before I could warn him was on the ice and then crashing and spinning out. Its SO treacherous.

I'm fine -- nothing but my glasses are broken. And I think I can glue/tape them back together until I can afford another pair. My helmet seems intact . . . still might be time to look into getting a new one.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch! Glad you're okay.

Julian said...

Ugh, that was one lousy morning. I was rounding the corner when a wave came over the break wall and took my attention away from the ice and noticing you trying to warn me. As soon as I looked at the water that was getting my feet and legs soaked...WHAM! I was on the deck.

So, one massive hip bruise and a wonked elbow later I'm mounting a blow-torch to my front wheel.

Lakefront path-1 Julian-0

Tamara Fraser said...

Julian -- I'm glad you're mostly OK -- I'm nursing a few very tender spots now too. There's NO warning, once you've turned the corner, it's too late.

Too bad you can't fix your wheel with superglue and duct tape, like my glasses.

Unknown said...

I biffed shortly before you guys... ha! Burnham Racing 2, xXx 1.

I'm not crazy, right - it was water on the ground until you made it 2/3 of the way around the corner? Then it was time to watch your life flash as you approached Lake Michigan.